First, I was getting intensely frustrated by my quickly growing blog lineup. It's hard to keep track of 50 (as of right now) blogs! Granted, about 10 of them are either personal or fashion blogs (just for fun).
Rach, over at Rach Writes, wrote about organizing your blogs Using Google Reader. After years of denying myself a Gmail account (how long has Gmail been around), I signed up; just so I could gain access to this sacred program. You can skim unread posts quickly, star what you want to go back to, sort by type of blog, link to actual blog pages (to comment). It cut down my blogging time by at least an hour. If you haven't created an account, do it (seriously). Also, check out Rach's blog (linked above). It's great!
Second, I was an English Lit major in college and yet I didn't take a single writing class (I am so smrt!). I've always known that I would love to write, but never thought I would be able to do it (lacking talent or determination maybe?). I never took the time to actually sit down (or stand up...?) and consider the option. Also, because of my debilitating fear of failure (I know, failure only occurs when you stop trying. Try convincing my 20 year old brain of this fact), I was afraid of being told my writing sucked. It's no fun to have even only half recognized dreams squashed.
All that to say; I didn't take a writing class in college. So, I go into this journey with what little I've gathered from my writer friends and the petrifying feeling of becoming quickly overwhelmed. So, then I read This blog post by Melissa West at M.B. Writes and the light bulb hit me in the face. I realized that A) a first draft does not have to be as in-depth and scary as I was making it in my head (or on paper). B) I need to focus more on my main plot. C) I am not alone! I can look in books and ask for assistance. These were things I'm pretty sure were rattling around in my brain, but had not fully sunk in yet.
Thank you Rach and Melissa!
This week in review
- What I said in my blog above.
- I organized email this week. I am email Martha Stewart (Is there someone better I could compare myself to
- I at two yummy pieces of pizza for lunch.
- I'm happy
- I'm going swing dancing tonight.
- I'm getting internet tomorrow
- It's Friday!
- Tomorrow is Saturday!
- I get to see the first five Oscar nominated films tomorrow (Next five = next week).
- I watched Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog again this week
- I am cleaning my apartment tonight after shower/before swing dancing
- From my seat I can smell all cooking that goes on in the breakroom. Someone just burned popcorn.
- I have a giant pimple on my chin.
- I didn't shower this morning (eeeeeeeew).
- I've gone back on the soda this week.
- I ate two calorie ridden pieces of pizza for lunch.
- I'm tired from not sleeping enough all week.
- My hands smell like garlic.
- I haven't written much this week.
- My shoes are giving me blisters (although they are very cute).
- It will be a stretch making it to a gas station after work.